Brienzergrat

8.10.23

This hike was easily one of the top 5 hikes of my life. 

You have to get your ass up to do things like this, but wow, it was worth it. And absolutely not for the uncoordinated or anyone scared of heights.


The pictures might seem repetitive, but we could not get over the view or this trail. Peak after peak, it just kept coming—nine peaks. The one that made me question it all was Tannhorn. It was one of those no going back now/don't fall to your death moments. Not for the faint-hearted. 

 

We started early with the 7:30 a.m. cogwheel train from Brienz to Brienzer Rothorn. After a quick coffee and a croissant at the hotel to warm up, it was go time. It took us a little under six hours of hiking time and almost 23 km to get to Harder Kulm. I was mentally prepared for a long day, but damn that last hour after we started descending the ridge felt like ten. My feet were dead. I was worried that if I sat down, that would be it.


We made it to the touristy extravaganza that is Harder Kulm, had our celebratory drinks, and then happily took the cogwheel train to Interlaken (thank you Switzerland). I made it back to the car, and we even went for a cold-ass, well-deserved swim in Lake Brienz. Perfect for numbing everything.


A magical day in Switzerland.

 









@dunjj