Night Shifts

22.10.21

After almost two years of working, I finally came into the night shift life. Not that I couldn't wait for this day to come, especially with the constant bombardment of telephone calls, search for brain bleeds right out of my sleep, and almost continuous glaring at that bright screen in that dark room. But in some other unexplainable way, I love the emergency room, and I enjoy the night shift and all the things that come through.

Now here I am out of a night shift, calmly on the train towards the airport. It didn't start calm. Leave it to me to plan the most hectic post-night shift travel morning. I was trying to make the best of my tight vacation week, and the same question always comes up, was the stress of it all worth it? I always do the same thing and don't dwell on those ulcer-inducing moments. Once I'm out of the stress phase, it feels like nothing happened. So I guess that it always comes back to this. I remember that it worked out, that I made it, and the cycle repeats. 

Now here's to hoping that I'm going to sleep through this long flight and be back in SLC sooner than later.






Veli Lošinj, Croatia

@dunjj